killing dead processes

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Jun 30 01:39:15 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I currently use fetchmail to get mail from 2 accounts via imap over ssh. Sometimes I find that over time, there are a number of ssh processes running under my username, and that they're not doing much of anything. I've tried stopping fetchmail and restarting it, doing "killall ssh" and "killall fetchmail" as root, but the processes are there just the same. I know that the ssh processes in question are being generated by fetchmail, because it is the only daemon that does something over ssh, and because I sanely close any ssh connections I start manually. My solution has been to simply reboot the box. However, I was wondering if there is a better way of killing them? Thanks in advance.
Greg