Sequal server databases

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Jun 24 08:45:03 EDT 2002

Two SQL servers come to mind for linux.  MySQL is popular and commonly
available; I have no personal experience with that one.  Postgres is
another one which is available at ftp.postgres.org and I have some
experience with that one.  I understand that postgres is more robust
and supposedly ANSII SQL complient but I can't prove or disprove that
one.  I kinda cut my teeth on postgres so am sticking with that one
for the time being.

It seems to work well with speakup.  The database manager client, psql
is a basic command line thing and the output can scroll off the screen
so can be okward at times but the output can be piped into less for
easier viewing.  There's a bit of a learning for SQL databases in
general but it is the industry standard and well worth your time to
learn SQL as a language and then some simple programming to use that
SQL in user friendly programs.  I should point out that these standard
SQL engines do not provide an interface like MS access to navigate up
and down through your data like in a spreadsheet though a client
program could be written to do just that, I'm sure.  Don't know if
MySQL offers such a tool or not.

SQL on non Microsoft platforms is fully complient; MacroSlop in their
usual manner deviate from standards when implementing SQL for Access
and for MS SQL Server 7.0

Go for the linux solution! well worth the effort.