RH 7.3 speaks during startup messages, but not at prompt or beyond

Brian Buhrow buhrow at lothlorien.nfbcal.org
Fri Jun 21 23:00:38 EDT 2002

	Hello.  Although you don't say what kind of synthesizer you have, or
what it's firmware revision is, I'm presuming you're having a handshake
issue between your serial port and your synthesizer, either because your
serial port and synthesizer don't agree on the kind of handshaking to do,
or because your cable is not the right one to perform the handshaking
you've selected.  I'm guessing a cable problem.
You can test this theory by following the other gentleman's suggestion of
hitting enter several times during the boot sequence to shut the synth up.
If, when you're done booting, after only letting the synth speak little
snippets of the boot messages, the synth still works at the prompt, then
this is definitely your problem, and the next task is to determine if it is
a cabling issue or whether the synthesizer you're using has a known bug in
its firmware.
	So, try the test and report back to us, including whatsynth you're
using and what Speakup thinks its firmware revision is.
-Brian