Doing the Samba - any Samba experts out there?

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Thu Jun 20 19:13:59 EDT 2002

Not sure off hand about scenarios 2 and 3 (though it can be done providing there's no firewalling rules in the way),
but for scenario 1, add the line
wins support = yes
to the global section of Samba,
and then in control panel->network->tcp/ip->wins settings, set your wins server to the ip of the samba server.
That should sort out your local browsing problems.
(also make sure that the netmask specified on your windows boxes is the same as that specified on your samba server, thats a common gotcha).
Finally, you might have to add
interfaces = x.x.x.x
where x.x.x.x is the address of your ethernet card serving your lan,
in case samba is binding to your external address instead of your internal address.
BTW regarding your other problems, there's docs in the samba distribution which explain cross-subnet browsing and how to do it.
Regards
Aaron
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 03:57:20PM -0400, Rich Caloggero wrote:
> I've been trying off and on for about 6 months to get Samba working.
> Hopefully the act of articulating my goals and setup will illucidate more
> clear thinking on my part, so here goes...
>
> [Also, if anyone knows this stuff, I'd be happy to take this off-list.
> Thanx much in advance.]
>
> * Scenareo 1: Samba on same subnet as win-2000 client.
> * Scenareo 2: Samba server at MIT, win98 at home behind a router (probably
> will never work)
> * Scenareo 3: Samba at MIT, win-NT domain behind a router at my other office
>
> Scenareo 1 is what Samba was designed for, so I really should be able to get
> this working. But no matter what I do, I can't get the win2000 box to browse
> the Samba share. Sometimes the server name actually shows up in the browse
> list, but I keep getting a net error 53 (network path not found), or error
> 1234 (no service at specified location). I'll include the smb.conf for
> below.
>
> Do either of the other scenareo's have a chance of working? Do I need to
> somehow tell the routers to pass announce messages, or do I need to
> explicitly open ports 137 and 139 before browsing is possible? What address
> do I give to Samba to send browse sync and announce messages to - the WAN
> side of the router? Virtual addresses 192.168... don't seem to make sense
> unless the Samba server is physically connected on the same net ...
>
> ### smb.conf
> [global]
> netBIOS name = BARAJAS
> workgroup = ATIC
> security = user
> encrypt passwords = yes
> os level = 34
> prefered master = yes
> local master = yes
> domain logons = yes
>
>    server string = Samba Server
>
> [www]
> comment = apache management
> path = /usr/local/www
> browseable = yes
> valid users = root rjc
>    public = no
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>
> ### end of smb.conf
>
>                     Rich Caloggero

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |