Doing the Samba - any Samba experts out there?

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 20 15:57:20 EDT 2002

I've been trying off and on for about 6 months to get Samba working.
Hopefully the act of articulating my goals and setup will illucidate more
clear thinking on my part, so here goes...

[Also, if anyone knows this stuff, I'd be happy to take this off-list.
Thanx much in advance.]

* Scenareo 1: Samba on same subnet as win-2000 client.
* Scenareo 2: Samba server at MIT, win98 at home behind a router (probably
will never work)
* Scenareo 3: Samba at MIT, win-NT domain behind a router at my other office

Scenareo 1 is what Samba was designed for, so I really should be able to get
this working. But no matter what I do, I can't get the win2000 box to browse
the Samba share. Sometimes the server name actually shows up in the browse
list, but I keep getting a net error 53 (network path not found), or error
1234 (no service at specified location). I'll include the smb.conf for
below.

Do either of the other scenareo's have a chance of working? Do I need to
somehow tell the routers to pass announce messages, or do I need to
explicitly open ports 137 and 139 before browsing is possible? What address
do I give to Samba to send browse sync and announce messages to - the WAN
side of the router? Virtual addresses 192.168... don't seem to make sense
unless the Samba server is physically connected on the same net ...

### smb.conf
[global]
netBIOS name = BARAJAS
workgroup = ATIC