Does Pine wrap lines?

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Jun 13 14:33:55 EDT 2002

Octavian:

Are you saying that the person using Pine finds lines too long?
Or, are you saying that some people who get mail from those of us
who use Pine are having trouble with long lines?

I think the latter is true. Pine's composer pico, does not
arbitrarily wrap lines at some particular position before handing
the message off to the mail transport agent. It is considered to
be the responsibility of the user agent to wrap appropriately for
local conditions. This strategy supports that well--you can havew
65 chars per line, and I can have 138, and the messages look
good. If the sending agent were to arbitrarily set a line length
of 75 and terminate, then both my 138 and your 65 user agents
would show messy messages.

I believe this is actually the correct behavior, but I haven't
checked the RFC for the correct standard on the subject. Does
anyone know off hand?