Thanks for ED and Janina

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Jun 10 10:07:28 EDT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Cris Ali wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your helpful comments.  I count on Janina to come and help
> me with the installation once I get the other hard drive put in this new
> box.  For now, this machine does not even have an operation system
> installed.  I suppose that I do not even need to install any operation
> system if I am going to install Linux, isn't that right?

Yes, since Linux is an operating system, there's no need to install
anything else first.

> As to the 166 MHz speed not up to the power of handling  sound streaming,
> this is new information to me.  I seem to have always mistakenly believed
> that the quality of sound stream depended on the speed of the connection to
> the internet.  In any case, I could not resist the urge to buy this machine.
> I thought a machine with the same features would certainly be more than the
> $29 I paid.  It is a refurbished  IBM 166 MHz, 64 megs of ram, 2.5 gig hd, a
> cd rom, network card, a video card, two USB ports, two serial ports, and a
> parallel port.

All things being equal, you are correct about audio quality.  However,
your sound card will only be able to play uncompressed audio.  All
internet-based audio streams are compressed audio and thus require
processor resources to uncompress the audio.  This is seldom mentionned
these days because it is generally assumed by the companies concerned that
you'll be using Windows and therefore a new processor.  Still, as has
already been said, you can always give it a try, and it certainly sounds
like you got a good deal on the machine.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808