announcing Speakup-utils 0.1

Ryan Mann rmann at rmisp.net
Sun Jun 9 20:58:48 EDT 2002

I've written a couple programs SPeakupcfg and Speakupctl that I thought
some of you might find useful.
Speakup-utils is a package that consists of the two utilities,
speakupcfg and speakupctl.  Speakupcfg can be used to configure Speakup's
synthesizer settings using your arrow keys.  You use the up and down arrow
keys to raise and lower settings.  You would use the right and left arrow
keys to move between parameters.  For example; When you start Speakupcfg,
you should here something like Rate 9.  If you hit the right-arrow, you
would here something like pitch 50.  After you're done adjusting your
settings you can hit "q" to quit, and then save your settings with the
command "speakupctl store."  If you want your settings to be restored the
next time you boot, you could put the following command in one of your
start-up scripts: "/usr/local/bin/speakupctl restore".

                        Compiling the programs

        First, unpack the archive by doing "gunzip
speakup-utils.tar.gz", then "tar -x -f speakup-utils.tar."  If
you're sure you have the Gcc and G++ compilers, and the Ncurses
libraries installed on your system, you can type the following commands
from within the speakup-utils directory:
make
make install.  Speakupctl and Speakupcfg will be installed
in/usr/local/bin.  Enjoy.

        If there are any questions, e-mail rmann at rmisp.net.

--

Ryan