errors when installing speakup.

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sat Jun 8 20:57:12 EDT 2002

Hi there,
Unless you have a modified kernel (ie you need extra drivers etc that aren't in the standard redhat kernel)
you should just use the speakup modified redhat kernel available from the website.
I haven't looked to see if there's a patched kernel rpm for 7.2, but if there isn't, there should be no reason why you can't use the 7.3 rpm on 7.2,
the kernel shouldn't depend on anything that's been updated.
The only time you would want to use the speakup tar file under redhat is if you need a custom kernel for some other purpose.
Regards
Aaron
On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:36:49AM -0500, Jeremy R Schmidt wrote:
> Hello everyone, I downloaded and untared speakup 1.0.
> When I ran ./install under redhat 7.2, I got the following.
> I had to retype it out, so I hope I didn't miss anything.
> Can anyone let me know if I need to fix anything, or if I should keep going?
> P.S. I checked, and I don't have a linux directory in /usr/src, so I created
> a simlink with the following command
> ln -s linux-2.4.7-10 linux
> no should I just run ./install again?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy
> Jeremy
> head: /usr/src/linux/Makefile: No such file or directory
>
> Patching version V
>
> cp: cannot stat `speakup': NO such file or directory
>
> Creating .orig files [cat: /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/speakup/patchlist-v:
> No such file or directory
>
> ] done.
>
> Patching files [ppatch: checkclean: extra operand
>
> patch: Try `patch --help' for more information
>
> ] done.
>
> Copying files [ccp: copying multiple files, but last `todo' is not a
> directory
>
> Try ` cp --help' for more information.
>
> ] done.

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |