Installing Slackware 8.0

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Thu Jun 6 20:46:34 EDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Adam Myrow wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:
>
> > Hi Ann,
> >
> > You will still need the boot and root disks to install 8.0 You cannot
> > boot from the cd, since the kernel that you boot off of the cd doesn't
> > have speakup in it unfortunately.
>
> It's too bad you just ordered Slackware 8.0 because 8.1 is in beta test.
> I've emailed Pat Volkerding, the maintainer of Slackware, and he says that
> 8.1 should be able to use a Speakup kernel from the CD.  Also, he's
> including the JFW keymap as an optional keymap.  The bad news is that as
> of now, due to file size increases, the root disk won't fit on a single
> floppy anymore.  For those who can't boot from CD, they now need 6 disks
> including the boot disk because of this!  Luckily, I can also boot from
> CD.

Sheesh!  6 disks?  Why?  What's wrong with the current root disks?  Why
can't they leave them in place for backwards compatibility and those who
want/need to use them?

Btw, Adam, do you know if there's going to be any sort of upgrade utility
like apd on the new slakware?  In my opinion, that's where it falls down
at the moment.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808