Installing Slackware 8.0

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Thu Jun 6 19:39:33 EDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi Ann,
>
> You will still need the boot and root disks to install 8.0 You cannot
> boot from the cd, since the kernel that you boot off of the cd doesn't
> have speakup in it unfortunately.

It's too bad you just ordered Slackware 8.0 because 8.1 is in beta test.
I've emailed Pat Volkerding, the maintainer of Slackware, and he says that
8.1 should be able to use a Speakup kernel from the CD.  Also, he's
including the JFW keymap as an optional keymap.  The bad news is that as
of now, due to file size increases, the root disk won't fit on a single
floppy anymore.  For those who can't boot from CD, they now need 6 disks
including the boot disk because of this!  Luckily, I can also boot from
CD.

BTW, I think the way it's going to work is that you'll boot the CD and
type something like "speakup.i speakup_synth=bns."  Don't quote me on
that, but that's how you pick a kernel off the CD is by typing its name
along with any parameters it needs.  To answer the original question,
Slackware 8.0 installs in exactly the same manner as 7.1.