DOS simple?

Cecil H. Whitley cwhitley at ec.rr.com
Sat Jun 1 12:30:21 EDT 2002

Hi again Teddy,
This thread really isn't accomplishing anything other than irratating people
who really don't care about the world of microsoft.  Therefore, I have to
make this my last post on the subject.  Now, with that said I must take this
opportunity to acquaint you with a little history you apparently are not
aware of.

DOS was a command line, just like Linux.  It had a lot less power and no
built-in networking.  Basically, everything for DOS was a "add-on".  Then
came windows.  For several years (about four I believe) there were no screen
readers.  It took another four before M.S. even deigned to talk with
providers of access technology and provide them "hooks" within the windows
GUI.  You have come to this product six years after that.  That's a total of
fourteen years (not counting the dos years, which we actually should).
Linux celebrated it's tenth year last August.  If you've got to b*tch, do it
in four more years.  But to be fair, you really should wait nine!

The "help" command wasn't available in dos until dos version 5.  As far as I
know man has been in Linux the entire time.  DOS "howto" books tended to be
exactly that, books (that you had to "buy").  Linux howto's are available
for the d/l, if you've got access to the internet and I believe they are
also available on CD that you can also "buy".  Appears to me to be at least
"one up" on DOS.  In short, microsoft and it's "os's" (and I use the term
very loosely) don't have a wonderfull track record either.  They haven't
always been the way you find them today.

Now to the other underlying issue here.  Apparently you define "help" as
someone doing/thinking/deciding for you.  Others do not hold that view.
They prefer to "help" by pointing you to the resources that will allow you
to learn/think/decide for yourself.  They are not going to change.  They are
not going to "do" for you since they wish you to become capable of doing for
yourself.  The balance in this equation is that if you learn to help
yourself you will also learn to help others in the same way.  I am not
intending this as any sort of "slam", my only intent is to point out what I
see as a "philosophical" difference between you and others on this list.
Most likely this philosophical difference is what made the Linux users on
this list Linux users.

Best of luck,

Cecil