Revisiting Install hangs at first boot

Jon Dowd jondowd at mind.net
Tue Jul 30 01:30:09 EDT 2002

The error has returned. The fact that it booted once was a fluke, won't
boot. Here's what happens :

Once the computer is turned on, after the POST, the RedHat GUI for LILO is
displayed. Two choices are offered; DOS and linux, the latter being default.
Ten seconds pass the GUI disappears and in the upper left of the screen the
following is displayed :

followed immediately with a new line :

"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel."

a cursor will appear and blink, under the U and that's it. No sound from the
synth. No error message regarding kernel panic, just that. Dead halt, will
stay with those two lines showing for hours, until I reboot and then the
same.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, this has happened on three computers I
have installed using the RedHat 7.3 discs from the link at
linux-speakup.org) all of which have Intel Pentium processors. I have had
the system work on two other computers, using the same discs, the exact same
choices during the install, one difference being AMD processors. On the two
computers I have succeeded with I have the ltlk synth talking, doing PPP
using wvdail on an external USR 56k modem. Any ideas? Are there other
symptoms, etc. I need to mention?

Thanks,