Install hangs at first boot

Jon Dowd jondowd at mind.net
Mon Jul 29 07:47:41 EDT 2002

Hi List,

I've downloaded and burned 2 sets of the RedHat 7.3 iso's and am having
trouble installing either of them (the results are same regardless of media
used). The installation seemingly proceeds fine until the first boot, at
which time the system will hang at the point where the message is displayed
"OK Now booting the kernel". The perplexing issue for me is that these discs
have installed successfully on two computers, but failed on three others.
The package choices are identical in all cases, as are all the choices
during the install. The failures have occurred on a Pentium 4, with two
30gig HDDs, failed on a Pentium 3 with a 10gig and a 30gig HDD, failed on a
Pentium 60MHz with a 1gig HDD, succeeded on a K6 500 and a K6 550. What do
you think ?

---