Syslinux vs Lilo

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Jul 27 00:56:03 EDT 2002

syslinux is designed to load linux from dos boot disks;
or from a pxe bootrom or a cd.
It is not designed for hard disk installation. They use syslinux on the
initial boot disk so you can copy a new kernel onto the disk under
windows or dos; and reboot and have the new kernel used
with no regeneration of the map file.
Lilo remembers where your kernel is on disk so you need to rerun
the map installer when any of this changes.
Grub is smarter and can read filesystems given the correct stage 1.5 loader;
it can also decompress gzip files and the like but is still under development.
Redhat uses it as the default boot loader now; and
many have had success with it.

Most people still use lilo under Debian and that is what i recommend for
hard disk booting. syslinux is nice to make a quick and dirty
boot disk that can load a linux kernel and take command line
arguments.