How to delete it?

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sun Jul 21 22:53:46 EDT 2002

Use the -r (recursive) option to rm.
that will allow you to delete directories and files or other directories which are contained within.
e.g you have a directory called foo which has files in it,
rm -r foo
and all the files and the directory will be deleted.
if you don't want to be prompted for every file, add the -f (force) option to rm.
e.g
rm -rf foo
Regards
aaron
On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 05:44:11PM +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried to delete a directory that has some files in it using the rm
> command.
>
> I've took a look in the man page for rm and it tells there that:
>   -d, --directory       unlink directory, even if non-empty (super-user
> only)
>
> I've was logged with the root account, but after typing the following
> command:
>
> rm -d database
>
> it asked me if I want to delete the file "database" and after answering y,
> it told me that it can't delete the file because it is a directory.
>
> I've seen in the man page that rmdir can't delete directories that are not
> empty.
>
> Can you tell me what is wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Teddy Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
> Mail: orasnita at home.ro

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |