ftp clients, was: Re: General question about Linux

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Jul 21 19:02:35 EDT 2002

When I used to use ncftp, I always used the less command to view files
and never experienced the hung sessions.  I use pdir to view directory
listings and rarely had any trouble.  If I didn't complete the listing
or the pipe, I think I recall hanging briefly but usually got control
back.

I mainly use lftp now because of the other protocols it supports such
as ssh/fish, ftps(ssl), etc.  It's batch processing is pretty cool but
the commands and configuration is a bit more primitive; you have to
put your configs in a file to set them.  Ncftp's bookmarks menu is
better than what lftp does but I gues it might be good to keep both
clients around:).