ftp clients, was: Re: General question about Linux

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Sun Jul 21 18:24:17 EDT 2002

Slackware 8.1 has lftp, but I've never tried it.  However, ncftp usually
works fine for me especially for background downloading.  You can type
"bgget file" and it will spool it and you can keep it up until you've
spooled a complete list of files you want.  Then, when you quit, it will
start downloading them in the background and won't give up.  It is
absolutely stubborn about finishing a download.  The only problem I've had
with Ncftp is that if you use its "page" command to look at a file and
then quit before reading the entire file, 9 out of 10 times, your
connection to the server hangs.  I don't know why this is, but it makes
the command effectively useless.