limbo talking boot disk?

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wacker at octothorp.org
Tue Jul 9 00:36:44 EDT 2002

Hi, Aaron,

     There's not much need to make a talking bootdisk for Limbo.  Speakup
is included in the kernel that Red Hat ships.  There are no Speakup
keymaps in Anaconda, however.  You can get around this by putting loadkeys
and the old version of the Speakup keymap onto a floppy.  When Anaconda
starts up, take the defaults for language and keyboard.  Then you can get
to a shell on another console.  Just mount the floppy and run loadkeys
from there.

     One word of caution about Limbo.  With the 686 and Athlon kernels,
they've changed the timing to something like 1000Hz.  This causes Speakup
to be slow, choppy, and hard to use.  You should be able to get relief by
playing with the timing variables in /proc/speakup/<synth>, but I didn't
have any luck.  My solution was to install a 586 kernel.  Once you're up
and running, grab the kernel from Rawhide.  That one has an up to date
version of Speakup, so you can use the regular keymap.

          HTH.
          Bill