please help with samba printing problem

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sat Jul 6 00:25:48 EDT 2002

Hi all.

I've got a little problem I hope someone can help me with.
I am trying to print via samba from my windows boxes to a printer on my linux box. Having said that:
1. I am able to successfuly print from my linux box using lpr.
2. I am able to succesfuly install the network printer and print to it from my windows boxes.

What I would like to do however is to have the add printer wizzard load the drivers for the printer automatically.

Here is where the problem is.
1. I go to network neighborhood, select the linux box, and select the lp printer.
2. Windows 98se asks me if I want to install the printer, I say "yes".
3. I get asked if I want to print from msdos programs, I leave the selection at "no", and select "next".
4. I get presented with a dialogue asking me how I want the printer to be named and I accept the default. I select the "yes" radio button to make the printer be the default, and then I select "next".
5. When I get asked if I want to print a test page, I leave the radio button set at "yes", and I select "finish".
6. Then, I get the following dialogue with an ok button:
"This printer cannot be installed now because its driver (PCL5EMS.DRV) could not be loaded. The driver or the INF file may be damaged. Restart Windows, and then try again."

Here are the relevant sections from my smb.conf.

[global]
 load printers = yes
printcap name = /etc/printcap
printer driver file = /etc/samba/printer/printers.def
 [PRINTER$]
comment = printer drivers
path = /etc/samba/printer
read only = yes
browsable = yes
guest account = ftp
guest ok = yes
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
guest account = ftp
   writable = no
   printable = yes
printer driver = HP LaserJet 5L PCL
printer driver location = \\%L\PRINTER$

Here is the output of "ls -ld /etc/samba/printer"
"drwxr-xr-x    2 ftp      users        4096 Jul  4 22:49 /etc/samba/printer/"

Here is the output of "ls -l /etc/samba/printer"
"total 1032
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftp      users      188848 Apr 23  1999 FINSTALL.DLL*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftp      users       21491 Apr 23  1999 FINSTALL.HLP*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftp      users      118128 Apr 23  1999 ICONLIB.DLL*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftp      users      480096 Apr 23  1999 PCL5EMS.DRV*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftp      users      197696 Jul  2 22:49 UNIDRV.DLL*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftp      users       15996 Apr 23  1999 UNIDRV.HLP*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 ftp      users         131 Jul  4 21:04 printers.def"
 My "printers.def" follows.

HP LaserJet 5L PCL:PCL5EMS.DRV:PCL5EMS.DRV:UNIDRV.HLP::EMF:PCL5EMS.DRV,UNIDRV.DLL,UNIDRV.HLP,ICONLIB.DLL,FINSTALL.DLL,FINSTALL.HLP

If someone could please tell me where to look for the problem, I would really appreciate the help. Also, the "PCL5EMS.DRV" file in the PRINTER$ share matches exactly the one in c:\windows\system.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Greg