RH 6.2 Versus RH 7.2

Mitchell mjs at blitz-technology.net
Wed Jan 30 12:56:03 EST 2002

yes, you can convert an existing system.

First make sure you have ext3 fs support in your kernel

cat /proc/filesystems

you should see

extention 3 fs

if that is the case you can convert your filesystems by doing the following.

1. unmount the filesystem if possible

2. tunefs -j /dev/hda5

replacing hda5 with the device your filesystem is actually on.

4. edit /etc/fstab and find the entry for that filesystem, change the 3rd field "ext2" to "ext3" and save the file

5. remount the filesystem

and your done.

For this reason  ext3 is a much easyer filesystem to migrate too rather than something like reiserfs or XFS.

however I must say I have had much better performance results from the SGI, XFS filesystem than ext3, but yes it's not as
easy to convert to.

Hope this helps.