What I did on my summer holidays.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Jan 28 20:02:19 EST 2002

Geoff, you're coming at the same issue that Victor has been asking about,
just from a different direction. In point of fact, you are both wrong.
Adding smil data after the fact has proven very time consuming. In the
case of reissues of old analog recordings, it is even more difficult
because the original source print books are often unavailable in their
same editions. Of course, it is possible to conceive that what you're
thinking of could work, and it will once the speech recognition systems
become more robust--but that's a diagression, just now.

The proper production sequence is something like the following:

1.)	Markup the text to the DTD, proof and validate;

2.)	Record the audio using live recording tools that also support
marking as you go. In other words, the marked up text prepared in Step #1
above is used onscreen (or on refreshable braille display) as the script
for the narrator. Either the narrator, or the quality control person punch
a button at every mark point--easy enough at the paragraph level, tedious
for sentences, and impossible at the word level. For word level, we'll
need the reco tools;

3.)	Proof and correct;

4.)	Generate distribution media from archive masters and ship;

OK, now about the speech reco. It's different from what is usually meant
by the term because this time the computer knows in advance exactly what
phonemes to expect and in what order--because it has the text in advance.
So, rather than recognizing a word out of the universe of all possible
words, it need only find the onset and termination of each word in its
text file.