reader service

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sat Jan 26 00:19:46 EST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Maurice A. Mines wrote:
> Hi, it's Maurice.  I don't have a problem with a background check, due to
> the fact that people have been killed, here in the US, over the years.  The
> business of having the reader pay for the background check is proper.  In
> most apartment rental situations, the person pays for the background check.

Umm, how does one draw a parallel between looking to rent an apartment and
looking for a job? Actually there is a parallel. The person paying pays
for the check. Ohh damn, that puts the state paying for the check.

It would be a different thing if it were a situation where someone was
starting up a real business providing these services. But at least in my
area said readers are someone the blind person knows and the pay isn't
enough to ofset the cost of the background check. We are talking $25 to
$50 for a check. The state of TX would pay up to $8 and hour. Thus, it
could take well over 5 hours to make back the money. When I was doing this
I would work a whole 2 hours a month. Now we are talking 2 or three
months. Meanwhile my real job was paying $15 an hour and didn't expect me
to pay for any background check (though one was done).

I have yet to hear of a reader that was making any serious money. If
reading for a college student there is enough for some spending cash. That
is if the person has enough to pay for a background check.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.