Mandrake 8.1 distro

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Thu Jan 24 21:23:13 EST 2002

I'm assuming that your kernel actually lives in /boot/vmlinuz.  Also, did you run lilo or update whatever boot loader you have so that it would boot your new image instead of your old one?

This looks to me like the kernel isn't seeing your hard drive.  Can you confirm this from the output during boot? Is your hd on a udma controller? If so, did you include support for that controller? Also, I'm wondering why you ran make config instead of preserving your old kernel's .config file and running make oldconfig instead?
Greg