(off-topic) Reader Services

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Thu Jan 24 14:20:27 EST 2002

I have undergone background checks for working for the Internal Revenue
Service and have a Sensitive Data Clearance.  I've been duly fingerprinted
and my credit records were scrutinized.  When I was offered the job with
my current employer, Verizon Communications, I underwent similar
background checks and underwent drug testing.
Personally, it's no skin off my butt!  I don't have anything in my
background that I am afraid for an employer to discover and I am thankful
that as I work around many Foreign Nationals whose background I would not
ever know, that they are probably not engaged in spying on an
infrastructure which can expose lots and loss of information which is
private and confidential down to grandma.

I can see how it feels personally intrusive to have someone you know
interrogated.  But look at the other side of the coin.  What if someone
forged some of your checks how would you feel about that?  It has happened
to me when I was younger and less careful.  I nailed the person but I was
lucky.  Unfortuneately handing over one's finances to someone else to
potentially take advantage of is a matter which is what one can't be that
trusting about.
If a reader is disignated primarily to read certain information to you
which isn't confidential or personal, as long as this person doesn't enter
into your living space, then perhaps it doesn't matter.  That's obviously
one's preference and although I have personal concerns, if it isn't
important to you, then at least you should be able to sign a waiver or
something.
In the  situation of a State Agency providing personal services, I can see
that they do want off the hook with respect to potential liabilities.  I'm
sure we've all heard or read about persons who are compromised being
unjustly taken advantage of.  I wouldn't  let it stop me from utilizing
those services provided it isn't a justification for denial of services
merely because they are too lazy to expedite the procedure for obtainng
sed services.

Okay, I'm getting down from my soapbox!

Amanda Lee