(off-topic) ADA

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Thu Jan 24 13:05:52 EST 2002

Yeah, I'm really shaking my head over this one.  Are you mistakenly using
a person as a Personal Care Attendant or something?  Perhaps Alabama
provides these services and to justify that a blind person needs a reader,
this  is to classify them as Personal Care Attendants.  I wish that reader
services could be such a service albeit it is not as much of a service
which is as  custodial as a person needs who is unable to perform normal
life tasks such as bathing, dressing and so forth.  In some respects, it
actually might not be a bad idea that hired readers are pre-qualified
because hey! they generally writeout checks and have direct access to
documents which contain personal and confidential information.
This is way way off topic of course.  If you are denied what you need
though, I would contact your State's Equal Opportunity Bureau, Division or
Department whatever it is called.  Ask about how to file complaints
regarding rights of persons with disabilities.
Did you also ask to speak to a supervisor about this?  It's amazing how
case workers can be horribly mis-informed as well and perhaps the
information needs to be provided proactively to whomever gave you this
seemingly bogus information.

If Alabama truly is denying services which you are entitled to, if there
is no State Legislation which covers this, then your next step is to do
exactly as Dave P indicates as this is a very blatant and discriminatory
policy.

Amanda Lee