Development cost proposal needed.

charles crawford ccrawford at acb.org
Thu Jan 24 07:40:51 EST 2002

Hi Everyone,

	OK, now we need to cut to the chase.  I believe I can get the
resources needed to speed the development of the speech interface for
X-windows and generic Linux text as well using speakup or whatever we all
need.  It is in the interests of blind computer users to have an
alternative to Windows where we are not paying constantly for access.

	I need to know what it would take to guet us there in the shortest
realistic time frame.  Armed with that kind of information, we can write a
grant proposal for ACBspeak or whatever
we call it.  My view is that if we can get a robust Linux solution that
would allow blind folks to get real access to an inexpensive operating
system which we could use to do what we need and also to access the
Microsoft apps through emulators, then we really could go a long way to
creating a level playing field with a host of options rather than
constantly trying to catch up to main apps and forsaking the others.  Not
only that, but we could use software we want rather than software we are
forced to use.

	How about it?

-- charlie Crawford.