Needs educating: Message from Linux (fwd)

David Arocho darocho at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 22 00:14:38 EST 2002

Hi, Charlie,
I am sure there are others on the list better qualified to answer specific
questions about x-windows.  I know a number of popular applications -
WordPerfect being perhaps he most notable, have been ported to x-windows.
I recall as far back as 1989 or so, there had been attempts to make the
system accessible for blind users.  I recall a presentation at a national
convention where they were using a system of speakers to simulate virtual
rooms as a means of accessing the directory structure.  I believe it was
not till the advent of Linux that x-windows has been coming into its own as
an alternative graphical user interface.  Some of the models used to
develop windows screen readers were first developed for x-windows, though,
long before Linux.

As you know, although I have been using computers since I bought the Texas
Instruments home computer (I think it was called the TI-99-4 something),
which came with a speech synthesizer and Basic - back in the  early 1980s -
I am not a techy.  I like a lot of the windows features, I like the old DOS
command driven interface, and I like to dabble with Linux.  One day the
computer will be as easy to use as the telephone; let's try to make sure
that when that day arrives the blind are not left out.

David