runlevel 5 was Re: Will Redhat Become a Division of AOL Time-Warner?

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Tue Jan 22 10:31:00 EST 2002

Hi. I guess I confused a couple of you. However, here is the scoop.

In distributions that are set to runlevel 5 out of the box such as, Red Hat,
Kaldera, and Mandrake you waith until the xdm login box comes up. Then, you
can do a alt+ctrl+f1, alt+ctrl+f2, etc to switch to a text login. Once you
login you are in bash.
However, if you want to drop into x for some reason one can alt+ctrl+f7 and
drop into the xdm login, and log into x. Then, those commands will switch
you back and forth.

If the computer is just for yourself you can just switch it back to runlevel
3. If you have sighted members around who use it I find it better to leave
it in runlevel 5, because they want their Windows environment on startup.