Will Redhat Become a Division of AOL Time-Warner?

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Jan 21 08:57:52 EST 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, charles crawford wrote:
> 	My concern for the redhat purchase by AOL is this.  While I am no
> expert programmer, from my experience doing it, I can see how to array
> images as variables without text and click on one of them to launch a
> particular module.  So whether Linux is text based or not, the concept is
> the same.  Write the software to act on a graphical interface and forget
> the command line.  I could be wrong and I hope that I am, but that is what
> I think.

And I hope you are right. The reason is quite simple, though two fold:
1) This would have the source available and thus able to be hacked for
speech.
2) This would in no way affect linux. It might mean that what we now think
of as RedHat would need a new name. But this is doubtful.

I don't see any reason they would do any more then replace the shell. And
their product wouldn't be what we think of as a complete distribution
anyway. There are many out there using linux. Does it scare people that
there is a linux based PDA under production? It doesn't work with speakup.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.