What parts of Redhat are modified for the Speakup install

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Fri Jan 18 22:43:38 EST 2002

Hi, the kernel rpms have been modified as well as the boot disks to provide
speech for the installation, and of course the post install.

Well, the reason why Red Hat 7.2 is so popular. I am sure you may get many
different answers on this one so I will say why I use Red Hat as aposed
toSlackware or another distribution.

1. Red Hat comes packed with lots of configuration tools such as sndconfig
for sound cards, linuxconf to configure all sorts of permitions etc, and the
setup configuration wich allows you to configure services, firewalls,
printers, etc.
2. Supports kickstart installations. This feature is most helpful. After
doing your first install a kickstart.cfg file is written into your root
directory containing all your install settings. So Back this up to your boot
diskette, and you can use that file to reinstall Red Hat without ever having
to go through the install prompts again.
3. X server configuration is much easier to configure than in other
distributions I have tried.
4. Red Hat is widely recognized in the business world as the Linux of
choice, and I feel it adds more qualafications if you can say I know Red Hat
rather than some distribution not as widely known.
5. Cause Red Hat is so widely known you are more likely to find a binary
installer in rpm format for a program you are looking for. As aposed to
having to build from source.
6. And 7.2 comes with a program called kudzu which tries to plug and play
your hardware, and insert it into your configuration. If you don't like this
activity you can simply turn it off in your services.