Will DecTalk work with with Speak Up?

Geoff Shang gshang at uq.net.au
Fri Jan 18 21:03:18 EST 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Georgina wrote:

> Either of your cards will work

This is WRONG!

The dectalk PC card is *NOT* supported at this time.  This is a common
question so I'll repeat it - the  dectalk PC is NOT supported.  The reason
for this is that the dec PC needs to have its software loaded into it by
the screenreader before it will work.  As it is right now, speakup
synthesiser drivers must be initialised at boot time and of course, there
are no filesystems mounted from which to load the dec PC's internal
software in order to send it to the synth.  I presume that the size of this
software makes putting it in speakup itself prohibitive.  It's situations
like this that provide strong insentive for modularisation of speakup
drivers, as people have been wanting dec PC support for as long as I can
remember, at least since the external dectalks became supported.

I should add that the doubletalk PC is well and truly supported, it being
the first synth to work with speakup.

Geoff.