HD not detected

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Jan 18 17:04:55 EST 2002

You only want the first drive as master and second drive as slave if they are on the same cable;
and in fact considering that an ide drive will
latch the bus and not allow another drive to do a transferr whilst it is busy
unless overlap ata is supported it is best to put both high-speed
devices i.e. drives on separate cables and slave your cdrom to  the
secondary channel if possible. This way data flow is not stalled
if one drive is allways beeing accessed and you want to access the other drive at the same time.
This also lets you do  RAID on ide drives
with maximum efficency without buying an ide raid card i.e. software RAID.

Regards, Kerry.

--
Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au