Links in pine messages?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Jan 18 08:07:34 EST 2002

If I view a message in pine and it has links such as
http://www.mypage.com, I can hit enter and I get asked if I want to view
the link.  I answer yes and all is fine.  But if the link points to an
exact file such as http://www.mypage.com/~user/file1.tar.gz, I go through
the same procedure and the contents of the file get dumpped to my screen
and I can't see any way to capture the binary form and save it.  I can't
for example, "download" the link from within pine like one does in lynx.

I am vaguely aware of mime.types and such but probably don't have a real
good handle on it.  Even if I did, I'm not sure what pine should use to
download the file instead of having lynx come up unconditionally and
display it as if it were text.

Any ideas?