anti-word

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Jan 15 07:01:26 EST 2002

Reality wise, that is a good point.  After reading this avelanche of
venting  yesterday, I found that it comes down to a couple points.  In the
immediate or short term, it may well be easier to just pop into a windows
environment and use the "other guys' stuff" and get the job done.  In a
long term, one could go out and try to build interest and support to move
to a new platform and standard.  Yes, I am versed in windows and can use
window-eyes as good as any of them.  But I do realize that may not speak
for others who have not.  I think versitility is the name of the game to
survive in the world of accessability.  I hate proprietory formats as much
as any of them.  That's why I stress some form of compatibility is so
important.  Hence, we have programs like anti-word.  Micky Soft is never
gona give out the format description for Word documents but apparently,
anti-word is one way to atleast decode them into other formats at our
wish.

The venting was probably good short term therapy for us all but let's see
what we can do to promote linux as an overall platform and how it can
eventually out do windows.  All that probably belongs in
comp.linux.advocacy perhaps but we can use this list to pump up speakup,
help other blind people come into the new fold and get them going and help
them share in the excitement of using an alternative operating system and
all its power!  I for one have been quite pleased to see the growing
number of newbies coming into the list, presumably to explore alternative
solutions for accessing their computers.  "Come on down! the water's
fine!"