Newbie, Adding Speakup to existing RH7.2 installation

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wacker at octothorp.org
Mon Jan 14 22:19:58 EST 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Jason wrote:

> > Please explain to me, if you can, the disadvantages of having modules in
> > your setup that you never load.
> not many: they take up space, and can cause problems if accidentally loaded
> with no hardware to talk to. Other than those, I can't think of any, but
> besides making hardware upgrades a bit easier, I can't think of any
> advantages either. I'd say it balances, and that it can be left as a personal
> preference thing.
It's always a preference thing.  But if the pre-compiled RPMS are
available with speakup included, I can't imagine why Thomas would advise a
newbie to go through the trouble of configuring and compiling a kernel
right off the bat.  We all used to do it, and for me, it was fun.  But now
it's a bit easier.

          Bill in Denver