anti-word

Charles Crawford ccrawford at acb.org
Mon Jan 14 12:15:20 EST 2002

Hi,

	Well I guess I did not want to get into a big duscussion of this, but you
raise points worth answering and thanks for doing so.

	People will not know anything about anything unless there is an original
introduction to it.  So if the Prof get a text file, then he would seek to
know how to handle it.  Just as his becoming enlightened by your reference
to notepad, so too would he be in a position to understand use a text
document.  Whether a text document is appropriate to the setting is a good
question though.

	If we left it at that, then all would be more or less settled, but what
about our rights as blind folks to access?  Are they conditioned upon
having to use what the employer for example uses?  Well, the truth is that
they aare.  An employer has the right to utilize any software they want and
as long as we too can use it, then we have to learn it.

	So the challenge to blind linux users is to relate to the windows world
not as an us versus them, but as a reality check on others who use
windows.  It gets a bit tricky because of the accessibility issues and the
relative ease of use issue.  If we have to go climbing mountains that
others do not have to climb to use a product, then that is not equal
access, but our success in getting at least a couple of Windows programs to
work well with access techincurrs a rsponsibility on our part to use that
technology when required.

	So we are back where we began.  We may not like having to use Ms-Word or
Ms-anything, but if it is the standard that is accessible as well, then we
have to do it.  Responding to an MS-Word attachment with a text file is ok
since it equally affords the reader with the same information presented in
a different format.

	Would like to write more, but there goes that phone again.

-- charlie Crawford.