anti-word

Shaun Oliver shauno at goanna.net.au
Mon Jan 14 05:00:12 EST 2002

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Steve Holmes wrote:
>
> > Yes and if a word document is sent to you for your input and editing, I'm
> > sure the original party would expect the thing to come back in Word format
> > along with the built-in formatting, styles and such.  Some of this whole
> > anti Word sounds arogant to me.
>

> I rather think it arrogant to presume everyone wants and reads Word. I
> regard it as arrogant to presume we all pay tribute to Microsoft. I
> further regard it arrogant to treat a proprietary, non-consensus, file
> format as some kind of standard.

Well, like it or not, this is the standard we need to either abide by or
change. Right at the moment all I'm seeing is a whole lot of bitching
about ms word and such.
to revisit Kirk w's post a few days ago, we need to take into account that
microsoft word is the enforced some would say prefered word processor that
is widely used in the workplace today.
We need to be mindful of this when we decide not to give a fuck about
formatting and presentation.
I've had it pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that this is the way
things are.
so let's just stop fucking around with bitching and either do something
about it or fucking well live with it!!
I don't like microsoft any more than alot of you do but like it or not,
it's here and we have to deal with it.
if microsoft on the other hand were to get things right in the first place
and not be so kind as to stoop to exploitative and scare tactics etc, we
probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
I'm sorry for my use of colourful metafores but that's just how ai see the
whole thing.