anti-word

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Sun Jan 13 15:35:42 EST 2002

You answered your own question here.  If there is a time-sensative situation
or for some reason an email provider is restrictive about file sizes and
I've encountered this more than once as thankfully I have a different
provider/Shellworld other than the lousy pittle that comes with the
Cable/Broadband service, I couldn't have emailed a bunch of .ppt documents
and would have had to resort to breaking down the messages containing the
PowerPoint and Word documents for these courses into multiple messages.
This is time-consuming to delete off attachments and to be certain to spread
them to other messages such that I didn't forget an attachment in the
process.  If I didn't have any other choice but to be confined to the
restrictions of my provider and the source for the soft copy documents
waited until the last minute to send them, I would have most definitely
requested text files because I wouldn't have had enough time to do the
conversions along with ordinary work-related tasks and to mail them to
myself here at home for studying during the evening.  So it goes without
saying that to address the situation on an individual basis is proactive.
Some blind students only have a notetaker as their primary tool for access
and  many notetakers  have limited storage capacity  Therefore, this blind
individual couldn't just accept a Word document as is.  I believe that the
Educational sector does need to be more flexible because after all, this is
indeed a "Reasonable Accomodation" and it costs nothing but a few keystrokes
on the part of the document source.

Amanda Lee