Newbie, Adding Speakup to existing RH7.2 installation

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Jan 12 21:35:22 EST 2002

The images at octothorp.org and those in the redhat directory on
linux-speakup.org are the same. They are the Speakup Modified Redhat
distribution. You're better off to get them from the linux-speakup.org
servers, because the network connection is better there.

Of course, as you suggest, you can also simply compile speakup into a new
kernel for yourself. You must have the sources installed, and you must
patch them with the speakup modifications before compiling. This is all
explained in a file called INSTALLATION in the speakup directory at
www.linux-speakup.org.

CAUTION: You may wish to do something to keep your existing kernel
available, as was suggested earlier. That way, you have an out should
things not go right. There are several ways to do that.

As for not hosing your partitions upgrading to a new installation, there's
actually no need to lose anything in an upgrade--if you've set things up
right. I do it all the time--but it works for me because my /home is a
separate partition. I simply copy /usr/local to a temporary directory on
/home, and do the same for my mailbox and /etc tree. It takes very little
time to put things back after the upgrade.

Actually, I didn't say that right. There is an option to upgrade where
your existing installation is simply updated. This is a menu selection in
the installation program. What I was describing is a fully new
installation of linux, where / and /usr (along with /var and /boot) are
reformatted.