initializing speakup

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Fri Jan 11 06:25:23 EST 2002

Initializing speakup (or reinitializing it) is so simple from a
shell prompt that it probably is not worth making it a speakup
builtin feature. With a little preparation first, which I will
explain in a moment, it can be done with a command like this (the
"-R" is upper case):

cp -R /etc/speakup /proc

You could further simplify that command by creating a very short
script or even using an alias.

The preparation involves first creating an appropriate
/etc/speakup directory that can just be copied wholesale into
/proc/speakup, but that only needs to be done once. Here is how I
did it:

First, issue the following command:

cp -R /proc/speakup /etc

Now you have an exact copy under /etc/speakup of what started out
in /proc/speakup, but there is more to do. The problem is that
some of the "files" under /proc/speakup are read-only and others
are read-write, and you have to find out which is which and
eliminate the read-only elements under /etc/speakup. Once you do
that, the command I gave earlier is ready to go.

I have included the initialization command in my rc.local file
and also in /etc/profile. This may sound redundant, but there
have been times when putting it only in rc.local has failed to
work because the synth was busy speaking bootup messages when the
command was executed. The repetition in /etc/profile is
insurance, and it also lets me reinitialize the synth each time I
log into a new account, or reenter once I have been using.

Chuck

Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh