another Speakup suggestion

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 10 20:23:32 EST 2002

My experiments with running DOS screen readers and trying to use
/dev/synth as a COM port have given me one more suggestion for Speakup.
There should be a way to fully reset the synthesizer.  That is, initialize
it as it is when Speakup first starts, then apply any changed settings in
/proc/speakup.  The reason for this is that DOS screen readers sometimes
put the synth in a strange state and no amount of fiddling with /proc will
get it back.  I wish I could code this stuff, but I haven't messed with C
in about 5 years, and I'm pretty rusty.