Back from the "parted" beyond. (f

Dan Murphy mweeby at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 5 11:57:58 EST 2002

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:30:25 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan Murphy <mweeby at nycap.rr.com>
To: Speakup list <speakup at braillw.uwo.ca>
Subject: Back from the "parted" beyond.

 Hello listers.
Last week, I posted a question about partitioning a drive with Windows
already on it, and Parted was recommended.  I downloaded it from the
speakup site and attempted to use it.  Well I am now, sadly, only a little
sadly, "parted" from my windows partition.  (grin)
I'm not going to blame the program, rather just my ineptitude and lack of
experience.  So, now that I was back to square one, and I am not certain
whan I can get sighted assistance to reinstall the MS monster, I
partitioned the drive in 2 parts.  The first 10 G for the eventual
Windows, and the remainder including a good size 345MB swap partition.
for linux.  I have installed Slackware 8.0 on it, but I have a few
questions.  When I go to use the installation boot disk with speakup on
it, after I type "ramdisk speakup_synth=dtlk", it loads up but it takes
something on the order of 10 minutes to do so.
this is a 500 MHZ Pentium 3 with 128 MB of ram.  Should I rebuild the
installation floppy, or is there something I should type differently at
the boot prompt?
I must say, though, it is nice to watch Linux purr along on that as
oposed to this little P166 with only 40 MB of ram.
Thanks, and please excuse the rambling.