Partitioning a drive with windows already on it?

Gregory Nowak gnowak1 at uic.edu
Tue Jan 1 20:09:00 EST 2002

Ziping your windows folder and then unziping it again would not run. This is because of the system registry, and some other folders/files that are installed outside of c:\windows.

There are a few utilities for partitioning an existing partition, or rather for spliting it.
The first is a speech enabled version of gnu partit which I found confusing.
Another program is fips which runs from DOS mode, and splits a partition into used and free space. It worked for me on a friend's hd very nicely which was 25 gb.
I also understand that there are some other comercial alternatives, which I will leave to others for explanation.
Greg