HTML Question -- Binary Downloads

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Jan 1 12:29:17 EST 2002

Hi, David:

Thanks for your thoughts--and Happy New Year to you.

I have the following response to my question from the ma-linux list which
sounds correct to me, and have already forwarded my request on to Kirk:

From: James Juran <jamesjuran at alumni.psu.edu>

You need to make sure the server generates the proper Content-type HTTP
header.  You need to make sure this gets set correctly by Apache to
something like application/octet-stream.  It's then up to the browser to
decide what to do with files of type application/octet-stream.  The
default configuration in most browsers will give you the standard
Download/Save/Cancel options.

For information on setting this up in Apache, see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_mime.html .

--
James Juran
jamesjuran at alumni.psu.edu