HTML Question -- Binary Downloads

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Jan 1 11:42:51 EST 2002

Can someone tell me what determines whether a hyperlinked file will be
treated as a text page to be retrieved and rendered as opposed to a binary
file to be downloaded and saved?

I'm writing a HOWTO and want to point to downloadable image files with
hyperlinks, but my links aren't working correctly. I've tried both http://
and ftp:// addressing, but always get the same result--my iso images are
grabbed as though they were text. What I'm wanting is the lynx screen that
says "Download or Cancel."

Is this a permissions issue? A server-side Apache configuration issue? I'm
stumped.

All help most gratefully appreciated.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp