Partitioning -- was Re: choosing a distro and version

Ed Barnes ed.barnes at janus.northatlantic.nf.ca
Tue Feb 26 16:58:26 EST 2002

Hi Janina.
Despite the fact that I have done only one basic Unix/Linux course before,
my thought was and still is, that having separate partitions such as /var,
/tmp and such will decrease the amount of typing needed to be done and will
decrease the likelyness that I could confuse Linux file conventions and
mount points with the conventions used by other network operating systems
which I am using now and will likely continue to use after I graduate from
my program, I.E., Ms Windows NT and 2000 servers, Novell Netware, and such.
I realize that with more practice and experience, these differences will
not be as confusing and I will be able to talk the speak of one and then
quickly switch to any of the others, however; that is a ways away yet.
Regards all.
Ed Barnes