Partitioning -- was Re: choosing a distro and version

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Feb 24 21:18:52 EST 2002

Yes, they were missing, sorry about that. Playing around with unfamiliar
software ...

Let me try this again ...

Since you're only using this linux computer for yourself, and since your
hard drives are relatively small as these things are thought of today, I'd
advise dumping the /var and /tmp partitions. The 400 mB you specified for
/ is sufficient for / and /var and /tmp most probably. If anything on /var
gets too large, which is unlikely, you can always move it to /home and
create a symbolic link in /var--so you are not boxing yourself in by doing
this.

I guess that if it were me, I'd want a bit more than 1 gB for /usr because
I'd expect to play around with software. On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Ed Barnes