logrotate for Slackware

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 14 19:14:00 EST 2002

Here is some good news for those concerned about their system logs growing
forever in Slackware.  Logrotate has been ported to Slackware.  You can
get it as a Slackware package at http://www.trippleg.net.au/public.  Be
sure to get the version for Slackware 8.0 if that's the version you're
running!  Otherwise, you'll be unable to use it.  After getting and
installing it with installpkg, edit /etc/logrotate.conf to your taste,
uncomment and if desired, adjust the time for the crontab entry, and off
you go.  If you want to run it by hand, type "logrotate
/etc/logrotate.conf."  If you want to test it without actually rotating
logs, run "logrotate -d /etc/logrotate.conf."  This pretends to rotate
logs and tells you what it would have done if it had been for real.  One
more thing, if you choose to compress your logs, comment out the lines
that mail some of them to root!  Otherwise, you'll get a message
containing garbage every once in awhile.

Thanks to whoever provided the tip about /boot/system.map being incorrect.
On my home system, there is no /boot/system.map, and I've had no problems,
but on a friend's system, he's been getting the log messages about an
incorrect version.  I'll have to check that out.  I suspect that simply
deleting the system.map from /boot will force the kernel to load it from
"/."  Anyway, thanks for solving a long-standing mystery.

Adam