pppd error messages

Charles Hallenbeck hallenbeck at valstar.net
Mon Feb 11 20:15:27 EST 2002

Hi people -

I wrote a complicated description of my latest puzzler yesterday,
and today I have more information but no solution yet.

The errors occur when initiating or terminating a dialup (with
ppp-go and ppp-off) and seem to refer to a "tdb" database. The
errors either say "tdb_store failed: success" or "tdb_store
failed: corrupt database" They are issued amongst the normal
messages from the ppp-go and ppp-off messages, and now that I am
once again using my external modem, they do not seem to adversely
affect the system (knock on wood).

I am now wondering about another possible cause of these
messages. A few days ago I upgraded my kernel from the default
Slackware 8.0 version 2.2.19 to the 2.4.5 kernel which Slackware
supplies as an alternative and an entry point into the 2.4.X
series. But I did not reinstall the system, only the kernel and
modules. I am wondering what other people's experiences might
have been upgrading from the 2.2.X to the 2.4.X kernels on an
existing system. The ppp drivers seem much more sophisticated in
the new series with somewhat different choices available in
kernel configuration, which makes me wonder if there might be
something I have overlooked.

I have scoured the docs and howtos and find only very scant
mention of the "tdb" database now used by PPP, but no detail at
all about where it is, what might corrupt it, or why it might not
be being used correctly. I have written to the maintainer of pppd
for Linux, whose email address no longer works! Wonderful.

Before turning to a standard Linux support list, I thought I
would give you folks one more chance to bail me out with some
timely wisdom. I need it badly!

Chuck

Visit me now at http://www.valstar.net/~hallenbeck
The Moon is New